Monday, August 31, 2009

Directing The Philadelphia Story to be "Yare"

This has been an exceptional year. October 17, 2008 began a series of extraordinary challenges, opportunities and blessings that will (should) culminate on October 18, 2009 when "The Philadelphia Story" closes at Peninsula Community Theatre.

On the day of Oct. 17 I was awakened by the alarm company advising that there was a fire detected at my place of work. I rushed there in the wee hours (without makeup or business clothing) to address the myriad of complications that naturally follow, including the inevitable ambulance-chasing news services trying to make a titillating story out of an episode that probably stemmed from a schizophrenic homeless person. Anticipating this, I sent home for a suit and barely cleaned up before the cameras hit the door.

That night I was greeted at the door by my eldest daughter who announced that she and her boyfriend wished to be married in February, which we had expected - but not so soon; and, that there would be a baby around Memorial Day. Wow! Nothing like hitting your parents with startling news while they are comatose!

Of course, the holidays gleefully ensued with dinner all around at my house, with overlapping preparations for the wedding and a guest list of 160+. I strongly advise short engagements, as they surely keep the complications at a minimum. We enjoyed wonderful wedding festivities celebrated amid unseasonably warm February weather. Our Michigan and New York relatives thought they were in heaven! We merely offered prayers of thanksgiving.

Heretofore (before wedding and birth announcements) I had agreed to play the role of Louise in "Always...Patsy Cline" at Peninsula Community Theatre and to simultaneously direct "Leading Ladies" at Poquoson Island Players. Clever rehearsal schedules were coordinated to accommodate the needs of both shows and my travel from the south side. I rehearsed "Ladies" on Sunday afternoons, as well as Tuesday and Thursday evenings, while rehearsing "Patsy" on Sunday, Monday and Wednesday evenings. Both shows came together and were great fun - albeit I exhibited some signs of stress, unusual for me, taking the form of prismatic vision.

Not being one to lower the bar when things get challenging, I had also agreed to host a regional (Mid-Atlantic States) professional organization conference in my home town on a weekend during that time. Thanks be to God that I had a committee of capable, cheerful colleagues who had been working over the course of the previous year to pull it off. My only concession to the load on that weekend was to blow off classes on Saturday afternoon in favor of a nice, cool nap in the hotel room.

Backtracking to my daughter's wedding: one of the highlights of that day was the gleaming diamond on the finger of her cousin, who had just become engaged. She subsequently asked that I direct her wedding, which followed the weekend after "Leading Ladies" closed. It was fun, and I'd do it again, but I don't think I was ever as tired as when I finally collapsed into my chair that evening, barely being able to rouse myself enough to brush teeth and remove myself to a proper bed.

Oh yes - my son graduated university in the middle of that mind-bending May!

Short break. VERY short break....while we took our daughter, son-in-law and new baby-love granddaughter to Michigan to celebrate my mom's 80th birthday...

Then, I held auditions for "The Philadelphia Story" last weekend. I was surprised and amazed by the number of very accomplished actors who showed up, many from the south side. This American comedy classic is still admired for its grace, erudition, and character development. On the second night, I was convinced that I could cast almost the entire play having to make some very difficult choices. In fact, I had two actresses who were switching the roles of Liz and Tracy and clearly could play either. It was like watching dueling actresses, and would have been worth a few bucks admission to watch that alone.

There was only one character I could not immediately cast, so I sent invitations to the prime, suitable actors I knew. I was finally able to settle on someone I feel will enhance the cast list and hold his own amid the other characters on stage. If his schedule will permit (and we find out today), I may have an opportunity to guide an exceptional ensemble to some unusually scintillating performances.

At the read through last night I likened my job to that of a team coach such as Jim Leyland (of the Detroit Tigers). It might be more apt, however, to use the analogy of a ship's captain, or one sailing a magnificently crafted vessel. One must hire the best crew available, train them well, adapt to changing weather and sea conditions, then sail, full speed ahead, into every glorious possibility encountered during the experience. We must be flexible and adaptable, sensitive to the nuances and expertise of each. We must be "yare" for each other.

I've been learning a lot about being "yare" this year. Full speed ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment