Sunday, August 9, 2009

My granddaughter slept on me this afternoon. I was honored.

After visiting around the lunch table at great grandma's house and filling her belly at her mama's breast, I took her. Can't get enough of that sweet, soft, 12 lb. sack of baby love. She fits perfectly into the crook of my arm, and is just beginning to hang on.

We walked around the room while the others talked. She surveyed her realm while filing away millions of details for future reference. Her knowledge of physics is only just developing. For some reason the magnets on Meme's refrigerator elicit excited alien conversation on her part and I can feel her struggling to work out how to reach out and touch them. No success yet. They're safe - for now.

After making a complete circuit, I begin gently rocking to and fro as she adjusts her position. It's a primal rocking motion that all mothers everywhere learn. It's like riding a bicycle. Once learned, always useful. As the undercurrent of recipes, bridal showers and work plans continue, her body slowly relaxes into mine. A quick eye contact check with her mom confirms that her eyes have drooped to half-mast, and are now completely closed. Those 12 pounds now feel like 15. I've still got the mojo! I can still put a baby to sleep with the best of them!

I settle into a chair at the end of the table, having propped a pillow in my lap on which to rest my arms and her bum, and I lean back a little so she can lie at a 45 degree angle from shoulder to waist.

For the next two hours I occasionally kiss her head and deftly cede to her adjustments as she shifts, lolls, stretches, grunts and sleeps. I send, via ESP, messages of promise. "I have plans for us", I say. "One day, when you're a big girl, we're going to go to the park, and children's theatre, and bake cookies, and hunt for bugs, and read books, and share all kinds of adventures!" But for now, a huggy-nap is enough, and a huge blessing for both of us.

I know that my own children felt exactly like this. I know that they passed through this sweet stage. But I was so busy learning how to be a mother and recovering from childbirth that I fought a constant battle to enjoy their infancy amid daunting stresses, and I don't remember clearly. The demands of my larger world and a constant, severe need for sleep fiercely competed with my ability to truly savor this serenity.

The best part of being a grandparent is that we get a second chance to embrace and even treasure each moment of grand-childhood that we are given. I already see her life in fast-forward images. I know that the next time she's brought through the door she will be larger, more savy, accomplished a milestone, and never again that 12-pound lump that nestled with me this afternoon. One day, she won't want to sit in anyone's lap anymore.

So today, I am privileged and honored and blessed to have Miss Celie take a two hour nap on me. Now that's quality time!

1 comment:

  1. so cool and true, loved your writing, I felt like I was evesdropping in your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete